Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:27:12 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <gelderen@mediaport.org>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk dying (Conner CFP and Tagged Queueing Probs)

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 12:21:21PM +0100, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
> From: Kenneth D. Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
>
> [...]
> >Now we're getting somewhere.  It may be that we can crank the tags down to
> >8 instead of disabling tagged queueing altogether.
>
> Probably down to 30 because that's what I've been running with without
> problems for about a year...
>
> I wrote:
> > Question is: couldn't it be caused by the drive going bezerk after a
> > SYNCHRONIZE CACHE?? I ask this because I don't recall having seen this
> error
> > before and this system has been running for well over a year...
>
> You responded:
> >I doubt it.  The cache sync happens in three places:
> >
> >- when the da device gets final close
> >- when the machine is shut down, and a device hasn't seen final close, its
> >   cache gets flushed.
> >- right after we've done a crash dump to a disk.
> >
> >The device close can happen at boot time, and when you reboot, but won't
> >happen during normal operation.
>
> I rebooted that machine several times that day. About half of the time I got
> syncing problems in addition to the SYNCACHE command error. I suggest you
> crank down the tags to 30 (or 8 but I suggest the larger because that helps
> narrowing down the problem) and add the SYNC CACHE quirk. My machine does a
> daily buildworld so I hope I'll catch the problems...

SYNCCACHE shouldn't be a problem.
I have lots of drives rejecting it - it's more an informational thing.
It's only critical on some special drives.
I personaly own the following:
Jan  8 21:44:06 cicely6 /kernel: sd0 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0
Jan  8 21:44:06 cicely6 /kernel: sd0: <FUJITSU M1606S-512 6406> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
Jan  8 21:44:07 cicely6 /kernel: sd0: Direct-Access 1041MB (2131992 512 byte sectors)
The drive needs a power down after SYNCCACHE.

--
  B.Walter