Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:00:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   mount -o ro,update question

Hi all,
	I've written a program to create a backup disk for
our servers. At the end of the script, it remounts everything
to ro status. Here's the segment:

#!/bin/sh

export PATH
PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin"

REMOUNT="aces usr/local usr/X11R6 usr"
ROPT="-o ro,update"

.
.
.

echo "Remounting backup filesystems Read-Only"
for i in `echo $REMOUNT`
do
    echo "mount $ROPT $HFS/$i"
    mount $ROPT $HFS/$i
done

echo mount $ROPT $HFS

exit 0

Somewhere around the remount of usr/X11R6 or usr it panics the
box and reboots.

However if I just do it on the command line, it works fine.
Sounds like a timing issue. Would putting some wait states in
between remounts avert this. Sorry I don't have the actual
panic. Something about a lock. (We're not allowed to leave a
pad of paper in the server room, and I like a fool follow the
rules).

The other thing, I ran into, was the if a FS is marked as ro
in the fstab, you can't "mount -o rw,update /fs". I guess that's
good when I think of it. Just inconvient for what I'm doing.

Paul.

--
"Always nice to see that technical accuracy doesn't stand in the way
 of good television."          --Derek Hart