Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 08:12:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      steve hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Suresh Nalluri <nallurs@gb.swissbank.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help... configuring and mounting SCSI disks in FreeBSD

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Suresh Nalluri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question.
>
> I have a PC with FreeBSD installed already. It uses sd0 as the device
> on which it is installed.  Now I have another disk on device sd1 which I'd like
> to use as just mounted on /NewDisk.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?

I think its almost a sin that there isnt a utility to do this.  disklabel
etc is too archane for the average joe.

Here is how I did it.  Save out your /etc into another directory
temporarily - you might want to use tar to make sure you keep the right
perms. (do the same for /stand)

Use sysinstall - I used the 2.1 boot floppy for this.

do the partitioning and disklabel of all drives - for the ones in place
already just put in mount points NOT NEWFS!

For media type put NFS - put in a phoney server and path.

This way it will do the disklabel, partition and new file system - then
it will try to connect with nfs to the phoney site - press control-c to
break out of it.  back out with quits and exits (depending on the screen)
till it is at the point where it reboots.

When its back up you will need to reset the perms on /etc (it will be
root read write execute and thats it - you will want to chmod 755 it)
then save out fstab, put you /etc backed up files back in, put the news
fstab in, put your stand files back in.

It would be much easier if somebody knowledgable would pull the
partition/disklabel/newfs routines out of sysinstall to make it easier on
people.

Steve Hovey -- shovey@buffnet.net
 	       root@buffnet.net