Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:14:09 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

In message <20010122113641.A92053@citusc17.usc.edu> Kris Kennaway writes:
: I agree that developers don't need to use buildkernel because we are
: mostly capable of doing the manual workarounds on the rare occasions
: when things need to be done differently. But if you cast your mind
: back to the many dozens of support messages on -stable and other lists
: after the binutils upgrade, you will note that users are incapable of
: following special-case directions even when their mailbox is full of
: messages repeating them, and they need to have a magic wand which does
: it for them. That's what buildkernel is supposed to be..whether or not
: it's broken or can be fixed is a separate question.
:
: I never use buildkernel either because I know enough to fix things
: when they break, but that's not true for Joe Random, and we shouldn't
: advocate against it to the general user base unless we have a better
: magic solution.

Agreed.  It *IS* the documented way of building kernels.  It is in the
handbook and we've been recommending it for over a year.  If it is
broken in some way, we should fix the way in which it is broken.  Kris
is right, most normal users can't follow directions more complex than
make buildkernel.  I've spent my time in the trenches, as have others
which is why make buildkernel exists.  Believe us when we tell you
this.  We had litterally a dozen questions each week about this before
buildkernel.  Now we have almost none (maybe 2-3 a month for people
not using buildkernel, or whacked out cases where buildkernel was done
without a buildworld immediately before it).  If you don't like it,
don't use it.  If it is broken, fix it, or tell others how to fix it.
Personally, I use it here from time to time to test things, but when
I'm in a development cycle, I'm more likely to use the old way because
I know enough to know what body part I'm about to shoot off...

It is in the handbook, and has been for some time.  I'm reviewing the
recent KERNEL -> KERNCONF changes to make sure that they make it into
the handbook properly (I assume there will be a MFC in a few days,
since putting KERNEL in /etc/make.conf is a setup for disaster right
now).

Warner