Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 100 10:46:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   datapoint++

   Here is a heads-up, or at least an additional data-point for
   your collection of BSD facts.

   When you upgrade across major levels: FreeBSD-3.X to -4.X,
   and likely FreeBSD.4.X to FreeBSD.5.0, be cerain to upgrade
   your /stand/sysinstall.    By hand,

     % cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall;
     % make; make install

   Because if you ever need to use /stand/sysinstall on your newly
   upgraded system to add a new drive, say, the old /stand/sysinstall
   will not be able to correctly probe your system.

   This is what happened to me a few days ago and I was stumped *why*
   I seemed to have a "bad /stand/sysinstall," as I mentioned to a
   friend.  It was a wise word from  Annelise Anderson that made me
   do an ls -l /stand/sysinstall on my new 4.0 system.

   I was *positive*; no, I was *ABSOLUTELY, TOTALLY, 10000% certain*
   that when I finished with the buildworld/installworld contortions
   that the sysinstall  utility had been rebuilt and re-installed.
   ...Which suggests that anytime you are ABSOLUTELY certain of
   anything and that you don't have to bother checking, check it
   anyway.

   gary