Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:21:47 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysctl.conf

I have a hard drive that incorrectly reports itself as an ATA drive, and I
need it to be DMA so my system doesn't fall over and die.  I found that
sysctl.conf would do this for me, so I put into sysctl.conf:

hw.atamodes="dma,---,pio,---"

and rebooted.

On reboot I get the following message:

hw.atamodes="dma,---,dma,---" -> hw.atamodes="dma,---,dma,---"

Obviously this isn't the desired behavior.  If I add an echo to /etc/rc.sysctl
I can see that it prints out the proper line to set the property I want, but
it isn't changed.  Can somebody point me in the correct direction?

I'm running -current, but I've had this problem for quite some time now.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://segment7.net

As a matter of fact, I _would_ mind being cremated in the company furnace.
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2045670000822.gif