Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 13:15:30 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        gerti-freebsdq@bitart.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: www.freebsd.org/search/search.html, sort by date?

Gerd Knops said on Apr 22, 2000 at 01:57:03:
> Hi,
>
> The sort by date feature on the www.freebsd.org/search/search.html
> page is gone since a while. Any specific reason? It still seems to
> work fine when I modify the URL by hand, and I rather miss it.

I don't know whether this is the reason, but there was a problem
with sort-by-date which I'd pointed out on the -doc list a few
months ago.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=151495+0+archive/1999/freebsd-doc/19991114.freebsd-doc

Basically, you couldn't get the 25 most recent matches with
sort-by-date: if you picked "limit results to 25" and "sort by date",
it would pick the 25 highest-scoring matches overall and sort those by
date. So you may miss out recent messages and get higher-scoring but
older messages.  I'd suggested either changing the behaviour or
changing the wording on the page to make it clear what it actually does.

If you want to sort by date, try geocrawler (http://www.geocrawler.com)

Rahul.