Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:17:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      evilwolf@cyberdude.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ipfw with dial-up

Dear FreeBSD guys-
    I have FreeBSD 4.0 that I recently got. I wanted to set up the ipfw firewall included with it and so I went to your tutorials and followed that exactly.

I added this to the kernel and recompiled it:
options IPFIREWALL

options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE

options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100

options IPDIVERT

Then, to the rc.conf file I added:
---------------------------------
firewall_enable="YES"
    firewall_script="/etc/firewall/fwrules"
    natd_enable="YES"
    natd_interface="tun0"
    natd_flags="-dynamic"

I didn't have NAT running so I didn't have to disable it.

Next, I set the firewall rules to what your tutorial said (I planned to change them later on):
--------------------------------------

# Firewall rules
    # Written by Marc Silver (marcs@draenor.org)
    # http://draenor.org/ipfw
    # Freely distributable

    # Define the firewall command (as in /etc/rc.firewall) for easy
    # reference.  Helps to make it easier to read.
    fwcmd="/sbin/ipfw"

    # Force a flushing of the current rules before we reload.
    $fwcmd -f flush

    # Divert all packets through the tunnel interface.
    $fwcmd add divert natd all from any to any via tun0

    # Allow all data from my network card and localhost.  Make sure you
    # change your network card (mine was fxp0) before you reboot.  :)
    $fwcmd add allow ip from any to any via lo0
    $fwcmd add allow ip from any to any via fxp0

    # Allow all connections that I initiate.
    $fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any out xmit tun0 setup

    # Once connections are made, allow them to stay open.
    $fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any via tun0 established

    # Everyone on the internet is allowed to connect to the following
    # services on the machine.  This example shows that people may connect
    # to ssh and apache.
    $fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any 80 setup
    $fwcmd add allow tcp from any to any 22 setup

    # This sends a RESET to all ident packets.
    $fwcmd add reset log tcp from any to any 113 in recv tun0

    # Allow outgoing DNS queries ONLY to the specified servers.
    $fwcmd add allow udp from any to x.x.x.x 53 out xmit tun0

    # Allow them back in with the answers...  :)
    $fwcmd add allow udp from x.x.x.x 53 to any in recv tun0

    # Allow ICMP (for ping and traceroute to work).  You may wish to
    # disallow this, but I feel it suits my needs to keep them in.
    $fwcmd add 65435 allow icmp from any to any

    # Deny all the rest.
    $fwcmd add 65435 deny log ip from any to any

Now when I reboot, it the startup messages I see something like "interface tun0 doesn't exist". And when I try to connect to the net, I can connect but cant send any packets out or recieve any for that matter. Am I supposed to replace to reference to "tun0" in rc.conf and/or the fwrules with the device name of my modem....? Or what? Got any ideas I could try out? Thanks for your help.

-Evilwolf