Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:34:31 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Yan, Yeqing" <yeqing.yan@intel.com>, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD syscall usage

On Thursday 22 October 2009 4:20:32 am Yan, Yeqing wrote:
> Hi:
>=20
> I=E2=80=99m from Intel China. Our project use FreeBSD 7.0. I have some qu=
estion=20
about syscall usage but I think mail to the wrong address before.
>=20
> Is there having any doc or example about how to use these syscall?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> kse_exit
>=20
> kse_wakeup
>=20
> kse_create
>=20
> kse_thr_interrupt
>=20
> kse_release
>=20
> kse_switchin

These are used internally to implement pthreads when using KSE.  Probably t=
he=20
only useful documentation would be the source for libkse.

> I read $man kse, but I can not find any example about how to use it. I wr=
ite=20
some test codes to call these function but all these codes are failed.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> mac_syscall
>=20
> I read $man 3 mac, but I can not find the usage about mac_syscall functio=
n.

This one I am not sure of.

> thr_create
>=20
> thr_suspend
>=20
> thr_kill2

These are used by libpthread to implement pthreads (libthr in < 7.x).  The=
=20
best documentation for these would be the source to libpthread as well.

> By the way, it is said =E2=80=9CI think that KSE was used in 5.x and 6.x =
and then=20
dropped in favor of a 1:1 threading model when 7.0 was released=E2=80=9D
>=20
> Does it mean the KSE syscall can be removed from FreeBSD 7.0?

It has been removed entirely from 8.0.  It is still present in 7, but it is=
=20
deprecated and not the default.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin