Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:22:49 -0700
From:      "Tim Pushor" <timp@crossthread.com>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Weird IP problem (arp?)

Johan,

First of all, thanks for the reply. I am not as inept as my post may have
seemed. I would not trouble the list with a network problem before checking
the obvious.

I must admit, that my setup is not quite as simple as I have made out, but
not much more diffucult. We have a class 'C' block from our ISP that we have
further broken down into two subnets. The Cisco 1005 belongs to the ISP and
I have no administrative control over it. The machines use the mask
0xffffff80. As I said, I have a few freebsd boxes on this subnet, so I know
our network works :). The IP address is within the upper range of the class
'C' (it is not the network or broadcast address). The lower 126 addresses
are not currently in use.

Again, from the console, I can get to the local network, or out to the
Internet, and the Internet can then get to the box. If I wait an hour, I
cannot get to the box from the Internet any more, but if I either:

1) Get on the box locally and establish a connection somwhere outside
2) Establish communication from the Internal network to the box

Then I can access the box from the Internet for a period of time (hour or
two, I havn't measured - but it seems consistent).

So if it were a problem with ARP, I would think that the problem is with the
router, not the box, and I don't have administrative control over the
router.

Do other machines on the subnet listen to the ARP request and response and
update their cache's? I can't remember. I am an application programmer, not
TCPIP guru (but I know what a netmask is :)

Thanks,
Tim