Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:17:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

Daniel C. Sobral writes:
> Tony Finch wrote:
> >
> > The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >How much RAM can we support, max?
> >
> > We have a machine using 3GB.
>
> It depends on tuning and patches. -current can presently support up
> to 4 Gb, but not 4 Gb precisely. I don't think this patch was merged
> into stable yet, but I think it is about time (specially given that
> the BSD/OS patch has been merged already).

The machine in question is running 3.1-STABLE with the appropriate
large memory patches added (excluding the BSDI compatibility one). I
should note that we had stability problems under load when using the
full 3GB, so the machine has MAXMEM set to 2GB.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  dot@dotat.at  fanf@demon.net