Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:51:52 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, hackers@freebsd.org, kibab@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: FEATURE macros for AUDIT/CAM/IPC/KTR/MAC/NFS/NTP/PMC/SYSV/...

On Friday, February 11, 2011 4:30:28 am Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during the last GSoC various FEATURE macros where added to the system.
> Before committing them, I would like to get some review (like if macro
> is in the correct file, and for those FEATURES where the description
> was not taken from NOTES if the description is OK).
>
> If nobody complains, I would like to commit this in 1-2 weeks. If you
> need more time to review, just tell me.
>
> Here is the list of affected files (for those impatient ones which do
> not want to look at the attached patch before noticing that they are
> not interested to look at it):

Hmm, so what is the rationale for adding FEATURE() macros?  Do we just want to
add them for everything or do we want to add them on-demand as use cases for
each knob arrive?  Some features can already be inferred (e.g. if KTR is
compiled in, then the debug.ktr.mask sysctl will exist).  Also, in the case of
KTR, I'm not sure that any userland programs need to alter their behavior
based on whether or not that feature was present.

--
John Baldwin