Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 12:40:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: -current kills harddrives

J Wunsch écrit / writes:
> As Philippe Regnauld wrote:
>
> > 	BTW,  I'm writing up a "Hardware  maintenance"  section -- could be
> > 	useful in the handbook   (proper ventilation, do's and dont's),  or
> > 	does this seem too way out of line with FreeBSD ?
>
> The extended cooling requirements of 7200 rpm drives should of course
> be mentioned there.

	They are :-) Comments and critics welcome.

->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--->8--

                      Hardware maintenance guidelines

    FreeBSD is a high  performance operating systems,   and as such, it  is
    often   used as the driving    force  behind high performance  servers.
    Unfortunately, experience shows that   selecting the right OS  and  the
    right components (See  "PC  Hardware Compatibility") is   sometimes not
    enough;  there   are   several  technical  issues  involved   that will
    (hopefully) be covered here, such as correct cabling, proper insulation
    and ventilation, thermal constraints, etc...  These are mostly tips and
    hints acquired from personal experience in working environments -- they
    are not in any case absolute rules (i.e.: your mileage may vary).

* COMPONENT ASSEMBLY *

Casings

    If  you have ever  assembled a PC  yourself, you  may have noticed some
    aberrations  in  the design and/or basic   construction  of the casing.
    Remember that the  majority  of these  were designed  with cheapness in
    mind, not fault tolerance.   To start with,  try and avoid all forms of
    "small tower" designs,  as they have a tendency  to double as  ovens --
    this is mainly due to  the amount of  cabling generally present in your
    average  PC (see  Cabling).   High towers  are recommendable for  three
    reasons:

    o they offer room for more devices and disks in particular;

    o they provide better airflow as more space is available;

    o there usually is room for additional fan units

    Depending on  the make and  model  of the  casing, they may  or may not
    offer facilities that are often useful :

    o ventilation slots on the underside of the cabinet

    o clip-on facade or hinged front door
        provides easy access to the disk units

    o screwed in motherboard mount-plate
        avoids  excess   manipulation  of the   motherboard  (i.e.:
        unclipping nylon columns, sliding the board out).

    Some  manufacturers do make  these  kinds of  casings,  though they are
    usually  not cheap (count at  least   $150).  For real  easy access  to
    cabling, disks, bus cards, I  can only recommend rack-mount units, with
    its reliability (redundant power supplies, UPS support)... and price!

    Also, always   make sure  that  the cables   of  the power  supply  and
    led/switch connectors  are long   enough to  reach the mainboard   (I'm
    serious about this,  it  happens often  !), and  that there are  enough
    mainboard support holes, so that half of it doesn't hang unsupported.

Expansion cards

    There are not many restrictions  concerning expansion card installation
    and/or    manipulation other than   the  usual  static precautions  and
    placement constraints due to available   cabling.  Still, some   points
    should  be respected  as a  safe   measure, though they   should not be
    required with quality power supplies and mainboards.

    Note:  for those of you  using  486s with  VLB (good luck...), remember
    that most, if not all, mainboards  that offer 3  VLB slots only allow 2
    of those to do bus mastering.  This may not seem like  a big issue, but
    I  have seen peak disk  I/O rise  from 2 Mb/sec   to 3 Mb/sec by simply
    moving the I/O card to another VLB slot.

    Placement of the expansion cards, whether they be ISA, EISA, PCI or VLB
    should try and follow these recommendations:

    o avoid placing  video cards too close  to the power  supply.  It might
      cause static or other kind of  video disturbances with badly shielded
      power supplies,  or sensitive RAMDACs  on  cheap cards.  If  it  does
      occur, try  moving   the card further 'down',   away  from  the power
      supply.  If this is not possible (PCI cards), get a bigger casing, or
      switch video cards;

    o same advice   for audio cards: they    are known to  be  sensitive to
      electromagnetic disturbances,  which  may cause humming  and electric
      noises in the speaker output.  Once again, try to move the sound card
      as far away from the power supply, cables permitting;

    In general, if a problem  occurs that seems  to be of a hardware nature
    (stray IRQs, erratic and/or intermittent  response of a device or plain
    refusal  to  boot), try and switch  the  cards around.  Sadly, this has
    worked in many cases for me with cheap mainboards or expansion cards.

Cabling

    - Power cabling -

    When setting up your system, try to envision future needs you may have:
    it is   highly recommended that  you buy  a   power supply  with enough
    connectors  in  the first place,  rather than  use "Y" power splitters.
    These are often of  bad manufacture and can  cause hard disk locks, bus
    resets and other mishaps through inconsistent of faulty power supply.

    If you do have to use them, ALWAYS check if the colors match (yellow to
    yellow,  red to red, etc...):  it has once happened   that 5V (red) was
    cross-wired to 12V (yellow) on such an adapter :-(

    - Drive cabling -

    There are simply  two cases for  disk configurations: non-SCSI and SCSI
    configurations :-)

    It is not  that SCSI is a sensitive  or otherwise unreliable subsystem,
    but  it is a high   performance one, and    should be treated with  the
    corresponding awareness.

    Regarding IDE disks :

      IDE disks  sometimes seem to  behave  strangely (no probing  at boot,
      slave drive is not seen) depending on which drive is master or slave,
      and which one of these is first on the  cable (though officially this
      should  not have any influence on  the  way the  disks operate).  The
      best here is to try different configurations and see the results.

    See the  section  "What  is SCSI"  for   the description   of  the SCSI
    subsystem,  bus types and   cabling recommendations.  Keep in mind  the
    following points :

    o always terminate  both ends of  the bus with  the right terminator --
      this means  SCSI-I (big  centronics-type  connector) terminators  for
      SCSI-I busses (also known as passive terminators), and SCSI-II (small
      connector)   for   busses    containing   SCSI-II    devices  (active
      terminators);

    o  internal termination by  the drives/devices themselves (i.e.: jumper
      activated)  should be avoided -- use  clip-on terminators that fit on
      the ribbon cable like any device;

    o  use  the right cabling  for  external devices  :  SCSI-I  cables and
      SCSI-II cables do not have  the same electrical specifications.  Also
      respect maximum lengths

    - Ribbon cables -

    Always try and  use cables that  are long  enough, especially for  disk
    units: it  is better to have spare  cable rather  than subject a barely
    long enough one to stress by twisting or folding it.  Also, long enough
    cables will let you push them out of the  way a bit, which is important
    for correct ventilation and air flow.

* PLACING STORAGE DEVICES *

    This is probably the most important point here.  It is crucial that you
    let storage devices (disks, CD Rom  units, tape drives) have enough air
    for  them to function correctly.   Without ventilation,  you can expect
    your 7200RPM drives to last a  couple of hours at the  most, if they do
    not have built-in thermal switches (recent ones do).

    There are a few things to know about ventilation:

    o ventilation is not simply exposing your unit to open  air -- that may
      help, but it will in most cases only heat up the air around it;

    o air acts as a fluid, and it must circulate to be efficient.  A closed
      cabinet with two fans blowing outward is a good way to achieve this;

    o having  the  fans simply  blow  INTO the   cabinet will  not  achieve
      cooling: this will  not help the hot  air  escaping.  The  idea is to
      have   the air be  pushed   out of the  cabinet.    Maximum effect is
      obtained with two fans, one extracting  and one intaking, if and only
      if those are  running at   the same  speed:  if the  intaking fan  is
      rotating    faster,   the resulting  flow   will    be less efficient
      (turbulence).  Also, intaking   fans  push a  LOT  of  dust into  the
      cabinet.

    Proper ventilation is guaranteed by respecting the following points:

    o  do not place disks  that you  know are  running  very hot (more than
      55°C) next to each other  -- this will only make  disks close to each
      other overheat much faster;

    o leave some space between the units (1/2" to 1") -- this allows better
      air flow;

    o leaving  5"1/4 front  bays opened up  creates   a "leak" in  the  air
      circuit, which could result in less efficient cooling;

    o try to achieve good thermal dissipation.  This means:

      - mount  the disks directly on  metal whenever you  can --  the metal
      frame  inside  the cabinet usually provides  average  to good thermal
      dissipation

      - avoid disk drawers and   other "easy extraction" mecanisms.   Since
      they are made of plastic, they trap heat (if your disk died suddenly,
      you'll still probably have to restore a backup,  and saving 2 minutes
      in opening the casing won't make that much difference)

                                   = = =

    If you   follow these guidelines, you   will already avoid  many of the
    problems  of building and    keeping running  a  PC  based    server or
    workstation  --  a process    which Jordan  <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>   rightly
    describes as 'Tapdancing through  a  minefield'.  Most PC hardware   is
    indeed not among the best in quality, but through careful selection AND
    correct  placement,  it is   possible to  approach the performance  and
    reliability of much more expensive dedicated hardware.

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kärve or nøt to kärve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-