Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 1998 17:36:46 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VNC [ was Re: back orifice ]

Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> So I did a web search and found out about it: it's a freeware remote
> access tool for windows 95+, and there is in fact a *nix client
> for it.  I'm wondering whether this works as well as it sounds on
> FreeBSD.  Has anyone tried it?

     If you're looking for a "free" remote access client, check out VNC:

	http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/index.html

It's GPL, not freeware, but that should be close enough.  Servers exist
for both Unix and Windows, and clients exist for those plus Windows CE,
3COM Palm Pilots, and others.  I think there's even a Java-based client.

     It's not particularly fast, but it works.

[ I'm not sure how useful it is, but the palmpilot version is certainly
  a mind-blower.  Check out:

	http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~minenko/PalmVNC/

  X-window access from a palmpilot: the mind boggles. ;-) ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.