Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
Cc:        "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de>, Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd test matrix

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Matthew Whelan wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:27:19 +0200 "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de> wrote:
> > Mike Hoskins wrote:
> > > Clearly, this process indicates developers should write test cases for
> > > their code...  Unfortuneately, the last thing an opensource project needs
> > > is more work for the developers.  :)
> > Yes, I know this argument but I think it  isn't true. Only the start is
> I couldn't agree more. Testing discovers bugs at a faster rate than
> debugging, at least until the test becomes 'too big'. As a result, it

Yes, of course...  But say whatever you will, the biggest "holdup" in this
case is giving developers time to writ tests, assuming they all agree to
do so.

I've been tracking progress of this thread, and posting general
conclusions/decissions here:  http://bsd.adept.org

It seems there is certainly enough interest to continue this as a real
"project".  Although I think there are a couple things that makeup smaller
"subprojects" on their own.

Please take a lookt at the summary page.  If you think any ideals should
be added, let me know.  Once we're all in agreement as to the general
direction this should take, I'm happy to offer hosting, including accounts
for any developers/contributors.