Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 04:00:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netcraft

But what everyone is saying is that why would you want to advertise your
uptime?  Only bad can come of that.  Like script kiddies or worse seeing
it as a challenge and attacking until they can get in.  No one else wants
it to do that, so no one sees it as fixing FreeBSD to get it to tell a
scan the uptime of a box.  If it's not fixing something, why do it?
	As for the 497day rollover, I'm pretty sure they are wrong.  In
the record uptimes list there is one FreeBSD box (it is the number two
overall, I think) with over 800 days uptime.  And yes of course those can
be fudged.  I think the rollover used to be a problem with most unices but
has been fixed.

							Tim