Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:00:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@mailhub.psn.ie>
To:        dissonant <disowned@linda.pomona.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: equivalent of BSD/OS /etc/hosts.deny?

> Is there a FreeBSD equivalent of the BSD/OS /etc/hosts.deny? I've run out
> of things to look up in the manpages....if there's something, it's
> probably painfully obvious.
>
> I know I can use /etc/login.access to restrict LOGINS from particular
> addresses, but I'd like to restrict connections on various ports (or on
> all ports, if that's easier) from particular domains/addresses.
>
> I'm running 3.1-RELEASE. Any information appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, you can use the tcp_wrappers package which you can get from the
FreeBSD CD's or the ports collection.

Once it's installed, the hosts.allow and hosts.deny should be in
/usr/local/etc

You'll also have to change your /etc/inetd.conf file, an example is given
in /usr/local/etc/inetd.conf.wrapped.sample showing how to set it up.

Cillian