Date:      Mon, 17 May 2004 20:40:46 -0700
From:      Wayne Tucker <wtucker@donobi.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server with largish disks

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:37:35AM -0700, Keith Woodworth wrote:
> One I'd like has 4 x 9gig and 4 x 18gig drives, 2 x 733mhz cpus.
>
> Only have about 2500+ active mail accounts on this machine but it is
> running low on space and we have lots of those accounts being access'd via
> Openwebmail.
>
> Mail spool is /var/mail
>
> Question is what would be a good way to partition the drives in the above
> configuration?
>
> I would like acutally to use 3 x 18 gig drives as /var with the 4th
> as the hotspare and the rest of the file systems (/ /usr) on 3 x 9gig
> with the 4th as hotspace.

That would work, although I would recommend altering your scheme
slightly: use the 18GB array (3x9GB + hot spare, assuming you're doing
RAID 5) for /, swap, /tmp, /var, /usr, and then dedicate the 36GB
array to /var/mail.  This will allow those spindles to occupy
themselves with mail and not have to worry about things like log
files.  (Keep in mind that some software, especially IMAP and webmail
apps, also store mail under the user's $HOME, so that may affect your
disk layout as well.)

> Is this a workable way to do it? Also since this has dual cpu's, how is
> the SMP support in FBSD 5.2? ie: how stable is it?
>
> Will the OS take advantage of having the two cpu's? Or would that depend
> on the software (Postfix, Qpopper (though that maybe replaced) ) to use
> the xtra cpu?

I haven't used 5.2 in production yet, but I have used it on a couple
of test systems (and my workstation) without problems.  The programs
you mentioned all use multiple processes (and/or threads), so the
operating system (even 4.x) should be able to distribute them between
the CPU's without any trouble.

Best wishes,

Wayne

--
Wayne A. Tucker       Sr. Network Engineer, Aspiring Guru
wtucker@donobi.com    DONOBI, Inc. <http://www.donobi.com/>;