Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 1995 22:57:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        olsenc@ichips.intel.com, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS motherboard info

> [ Cool motherboard specs.. ]
> > On Board PCI EIDE; 2 x PCI Bus Master EIDE ports
> > (up to 4 IDE devices) Support:
>
> So this is basically a dual-ported EIDE controller?

Yes, many of the newer motherboards are using a chip by CMD known as
the CMD PCI0640B, this chip look like 2 IDE controller, one at the
standard I/O address of 0x1F0 and one at 0x170.  This particular chip
is ATAPI compliant, and does at least Mode 3 EIDE.

> > Award Pentium PCI BIOS and NCR PCI SCSI BIOS
>
> I see that we have the NCR SCSI BIOS, but there is no mention of NCR
> SCSI support.  Does this mean that if you drop one of the cheap NCR
> boards in it works better than a standard PCI board, or am I missing
> something here?

Almost all Pentium motherboards, with the Award bios atleast, are shipping
with the NCR PCI SCSI BIOS built into the system bios.  This means you can
use the lower cost (ie ~$75.00) NCR 810/825 controllers that do not have
any BIOS on them.

If you do not have the NCR PCI SCSI BIOS in the SYSTEM bios you have to
use an NCR card that has a BIOS chip on it (ie more $$$) or you have to
boot from IDE and load run time NCR drivers from config.sys.

My recommendation is don't buy a PCI motherboard without the NCR BIOS built
into the motherboard, even most of the PCI/486 boards have it now too..