Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 1997 03:49:04 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        <tomthai@future.net>, "Chris Shenton" <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, <linuxisp@friendly.jeffnet.org>
Subject:   Re: system passwd to RADIUS

From: Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
>BTW: I hacked Ascend's RADIUS to treat the password entry listed in
>RADIUS users file as a crypted passwd. I think all I had to to was run
>what the RADIUS client sent to the server through crypt() then let it
>compare with what RADIUS parsed from the user file. You could get
>clever and evan modify it to use forms like
>
> Password = crypt."cx19azPss3v97"
>
>in addition to normal clear-text ones. I don't like cleartext
>passwords, so I didn't bother. The code was for Ascend's RADIUS so
>posting it here probably wouldn't help. Just look where it does the
>compare with what the client (comm server) sent with what's in the
>users file.

I don't like cleartext passwords either, but have been forced to use them
by the PPP protocol :(
seems that MPP won't work without CHAP, and CHAP won't work with encrypted
passwords.

Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services
http://www.i-Plus.net

PS: is the linuxisp list back up?  or is that just wishful thinking?