Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 03:42:00 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Stefan_M=FChling?= <stefan.muehling@tu-clausthal.de>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sudden crashing?

Hi!

> So far, one of my servers, a BSD 3.2-R machine, has mysteriously crashed
> twice this week.  This machine functions as a gateway and firewall to our
> internet connection, so it's the most visible host here.  I use ipfw to
> block pretty much all the low ports except those we really need, such as
> ssh, ntp, smtp, etc...
Do you have two network cards installed in this machine? I experienced such
a problem using bridging with two cards in my server. Someone showed me logs
in which both Mac-Adresses of my cards were logged on one IP. The time in
the logs and my hangtime are the same. Now i'm running without bridging
(using a hub) and it works pretty fine now. I'm am running a FreeBSD
3.3-SNAPSHOT.

Perhaps that helps. I'm a newby and can not really help you. So sorry, if a
said something wrong.

> I don't see anything in the logs indicating what might have happened.

> Not only that, but ipfw *refuses* to log to syslog on this box!?!  My
> /etc/syslog.conf is an exact copy of the same file on another machine
> which DOES correctly log ipfw.

Bye!
Stefan