Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2014 15:10:16 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: +MANIFEST changed syntax in pkg 1.4?

--TJbXrq6FBGSINxgHuaFhOc9hSS79Wi0AW

On 23/12/2014 14:32, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>>> On 22/12/2014 02:43, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>>>
>>> Has the +MAINFEST file changed in sytnax from 1.3 to 1.4 and is now n=
ot yaml? I notice that the +MANIFEST files inside packages already built =
by the ports system look more like json in format. Where do I find docume=
ntation for the new format?
>=20
>=20
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>=20
>> Yes, +MANIFEST is now generated using libucl -- which uses a JSON-like=
 format. I believe the differences between libucl and JSON are pretty min=
or (something about comment syntax IIRC) so if you convert your setup to =
use JSON, it should work.

>> For more information about libucl, start here:
>>
>> https://github.com/vstakhov/libucl=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks Matthew. Is there any documentation on the new format? I see not=
hing is updated in the only docs I can find:
>=20
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng#Package_format
>=20
>=20
> I guess I'm really not understanding pkgng... I've used FreeBSD since v=
ersion 4 but this is the first time I've seen something in the core syste=
m so undocumented and with so many regressions compared to the previous t=
ools. I really wish we could go back to pkg_
>=20

There's quite a lot of info in the README.md on Vslevod's libucl page on
Github -- it's not comprehensive, but given you know the basics of YAML
and JSON is should serve to get you going.

The other advice I would suggest is simply to copy what has been done
for other packages.  Try:

    pkg info -R pkgname

or

    pkg info -RF pkgname.txz

which will give you a pretty-printed version of the +MANIFEST for any
package on your machine, or any package tarball you happen to have.
Certainly for installed packages this will produce the libucl style
output even if the original input was in YAML style.  Not sure about pkg
tarballs -- it might even work there too.  So you should be able to
start with the +MANIFEST for an older version of your custom package and
evolve it to match the latest package contents.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.