Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 1998 18:58:34 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <Reinier.Bezuidenhout@KryptoKom.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP and collisions

Reinier Bezuidenhout writes:
> Hi ...
>
> I've been doing some throughput test etc. ans saw that wen
> 'n transfer large amounts of data (ttcp or ftp) 'n get
> round about 50% collision rate (according to netstat -i
> and some mathematics :) )
>
> Is this normal ???

Yes, there is nothing wrong with a modest 50% collision rate. Start
worrying when it consistantly gets over 150% or 200%.

> I used a x-over cable and a hub between the two machines, both
> running 2.2.7 ... one 233 PII and the other 300 PII

Why did you use a crossed up cable when connecting thru a hub? If there
are only two machines on the net, use a crossed cable, no hub, and look
into enabling full duplex. Full duplex will eliminate collisions.

> Although there was such a high rate of collisions the throughput
> was still +/- 880 to 990 kbytes/sec

That's because they are "early collisions" which happen in the first 64
octets of the ethernet packet. So not much time was lost. When it
happens both senders back off a random time and try again. Guess I
could figure out how to calculate it, but the numbers I've heard claim
100% or 200% collision rate might result in a 15% thruput degradation.

A late collision happens after the 64th octet. Indicates deficient
hardware or software. Or that your network is too long, too many hubs,
or something to cause a host to be too far away. Simplified, that host
is so far away the speed of light (thru wire and hubs) is longer than
the time it takes to send 64 octets.

Not all ethernet hardware bother to report early collisions.