Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:27:10 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Subject:   Re: FBSD/DHCP talking to lan winbox

At 05:20 PM 2/27/02 -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
>I have a FBSD4.4 gateway/firewall with lan winboxs behind it.
>
># dhcpd.conf
>
>option domain-name "a1user.com";
>option domain-name-servers 218.216.115.111, 218.216.115.112;
>default-lease-time 60;
>max-lease-time 60;
>authoritative;
>ddns-update-style none;
>log-facility local7;
>
># No service will be given on this subnet, but declaring it helps the
># DHCP server to understand the network topology.
>
>subnet 10.152.187.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>}
>

># This is my subnet declaration.
># Max of 3 pc on lan  10.0.10.5 - 10.0.10.7
>subnet 10.0.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.248 {
>   range 10.0.10.5 10.0.10.7;
>}

It's been a while since I've set up dhcpd, but just in case I actually have
a clue: you do not seem to have an 'option routers' declaration in the
above file.

If your Windows boxes do not know what the router's address is, and
especially given that your DNS servers are not on the local subnet, the
Windows boxes will probably have no idea how to reach them - or any machine
outside of the local network, for that matter.

You don't mention whether or not the router's IP address is hard-coded into
your Windows boxes' network configuration. Check this as well, in addition
to Steve's suggestion of changing your DNS server address to use DHCP.

         Matt

P.S. If you're going to use DHCP, I really recommend you use it for every
possible value. Don't mix hard-coded and dynamically assigned values unless
you have a REALLY good reason, as doing so with even a handful of machines
is annoying and potentially problematic at best, and a support nightmare at
worst.

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM