Date:      06 Mar 2002 10:20:27 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm kinda happy (wasI bought your system and am not so happy!)

This is the first time in eight years I've felt the need to "weigh in"
on this debate, which seems to come up about once/quarter. and last for
about two months ;-)

Back in the old days, I was very happy that *BSD wasn't Linux.  Except
for one BSD lpr bug  (1995/6?) I could sleep soundly every night knowing
that 95+% of the active script-kiddie exploits weren't going to affect
any of the web/mail/ftp/file server's I'd built (and most of the other
exploits wouldn't work if you changed (almost) anything from the default
installation) .  It was fine by me that I was "the only" person who knew
enough about those machines to keep 'em humming.

Now, more increasingly, as I (try to) continue building FreeBSD servers
for one job or another (especially larger companies with established
I.S. departments), I'm faced with "Well, if it's going to be one of the
free *nix's, why not Linux...the learning curve for our existing
(Solaris/HP/IBM) admins isn't as much, and it's now possible to build
"secure" Linux (Bastille comes to mind, plus many OS hardening projects
and recent default installations).  We can do cool things like cut and
paste from the password/shadow file between Linux/Solaris (ugh), our
junior admins can build dozens or hundreds of (scripted or not)
build-boxes", etc.

The fact that Linux is, for the most part, a better desktop workstation
(especially for new/cool stuff), and is easier for first time
installers, translates directly into up-and-coming sysadmins wanting to
use Linux for server environments...whether or not *BSD is better,
faster, safer (we all know that every junior sysadmin feels invincible
to "stoopid" hackers (or at least better/more lucky than the average)).
The fact that Linux gets the vast majority of the free OS press
translates directly into OS "debates" by
"dangerously-semi-knowledgeable" middle managers everytime anything but
Linux is suggested.

The fact that *BSD is still predominantly a niche player has its
advantages and disadvantages, but the recent Walnut Creek->BSDi->who the
hell were they->FreeBSD Mall (aka the company formerly known as Walnut
Creek) debacle is a definate example of why *BSD needs to have an
established (unfortunately aka corporate) presence of its own.  Darwin
helps that cause *a lot*, but unfortunately Apple is itself a niche
player, albeit with a semi-hefty pocketbook.  Without "a corporation",
and all the fluff which goes with it (marketing, ease of install,
gui-fied wizards, etc), the *BSD brain trust won't be able to continue
donating time to a good cause, and new *nix wizards will be weaned in
the Linux camps...possibly coming over from the dark side relatively
late in their overworked-underpaid careers...

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 23:53, Denny Jodeit wrote:
> Don't be afraid to ask questions. I was kinda flamed for my post to the
> original thread, for my attitude, but....I can guarantee that 98% of all

And this fact is not just sad, but completely pathetic.  The
holier-than-thou stance of hardcore *BSD enthusiasts is stupid,
embarrassing, and definately not helping "the cause".

> Personally, I hope FreeBSD never hits the mainstream. Is it just me, or does
> RedHat look more and more like Microsoft and Windows everyday ?
> .........get my drift ?

Yes, it does.  And so too, to a lesser extent, is Mandrake (which IMHO
has the best of both worlds...it's easy to install, relatively secure,
supported somewhat by a corporation, and a rabid (anti-RedHat)
user-base).  Redhat may have taken "corporate ambition" too far, and may
in the end get stung by it...but failure to at least step on the first
rung of the corporate ladder will ultimately lead to *BSD's demise and
dissapearance into the void....

"Wasn't that a really cool OS they had about 20 years ago...I sure wish
I could find an emulator for it...."