Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:36:08 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        evilwolf@cyberdude.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ipfw with dial-up

[You mailer is broken: please wrap long lines at about 70 columns.]

evilwolf@cyberdude.com schrieb:

> Dear FreeBSD guys-
>     I have FreeBSD 4.0 that I recently got. I wanted to set up the ipfw firewall
> included with it and so I went to your tutorials and followed that exactly.
> [snip]
>
> Now when I reboot, it the startup messages I see something like "interface tun0
> doesn't exist". And when I try to connect to the net, I can connect but cant send
> any packets out or recieve any for that matter. Am I supposed to replace to
> reference to "tun0" in rc.conf and/or the fwrules with the device name of my
> modem....? Or what? Got any ideas I could try out? Thanks for your help.

Seems tunnel devices are missing. cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV tun3 should
re-make the devices. If still no-go, you kernel is missing tunnel
devices. Create a custom kernel including them.

Read on at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/.

HTH
-Christoph Sold