Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2007 17:07:39 +0200
From:      Edwin Mons <freebsd@edwinm.ik.nu>
To:        bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, Edwin Mons <freebsd@edwinm.ik.nu>,  freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/83807: [sis] [patch] if_sis: Wake On Lan support for	FreeBSD

Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 11:08:01AM +0200, Edwin Mons wrote:
>
>>  Will this feature ever be incorporated in mainstream FreeBSD?  I'm eagerly
>>  waiting for it to land in -CURRENT...
>>

> I have no idea.
>
> I haven't got much feedback on this patch, apart from one
> or two people who sent me a quick thank you note :)
>
> So I have no idea how many people are actually using the patch.
>
> I know that:
>
> 	* if_sis and if_vr wake on lan support is very stable for me.
> 	  I've been using this code for nearly 2 years now.
>
> 	* if_nve support has afaik never been tested (plus
> 	  it's a binary blob driver and will apparently be
> 	  replaced with OpenBSD's nfe driver soon.)
>
> I run a single 6.2 box here that I maintain the patch for.
> I'd be happy to setup a -current box to port the patch to -CURRENT.

I currently have one -CURRENT machine, and several 6.2-STABLE machines.
For at least two of them (the -CURRENT and an x86 -STABLE machine) I'd
really like to have WoL support, as these are my workstation and a home
server, both of them really do not need to be on all the time, but I
want to be able to reach them when I need a file from them when I'm
elsewhere.
> I'd also be happy to add WOL support for more chipsets.
> Adding support is relatively easy as long as another open source
> OS (e.g. Linux) supports wake on lan for a chipset and even easier
> if a good datasheet is available (as in case of if_sis).

I usually use either if_em or if_xl chipsets, so I hoped landing this
code in at least -CURRENT (should go there first, I guess) would result
in more chipsets supported ;)

> If anyone has a card that does wake on lan after shutdown from Linux
> but not after shutdown from FreeBSD with my patch applied let me know.
> You may need to use the ethtool utility to enable WOL on Linux.

I don't run Linux on either machine.  Perhaps I could do some tests on
my workstation with a CD-based linux distribution.

Edwin