Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 10:42:24 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, dworkin@rover.village.org
Subject:   Re: Security (was: Re: Two commands: icat and ils)

: > : Why ? Security must be enforced with proper protections, not by
: > : simply trying to hide information which *is* available.
: >
: > The standard reason that is given is that it bypasses all file system
: > checks...  However, you need to be root to run it, so maybe that isn't
: > such a horrible thing.
:
: exactly. Also, you already have more powerful tools like "cat" and
: "rm" to peek at people's data or destroy information.

rm won't remove an immutable file, but if you go through the raw
device, you can do that.  OR change the immutable file...

Like I said, I don't completely understand it, but I'll be putting
together a set of "use at your own risk" tools.

Warner