Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:14:47 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network crash dumps

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 03:17:42AM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 11:46:56PM +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
> > Did you really send a SIGABRT to init? This should cause init to exit
> > after a while (IIRC 30sec), which should cause a "Going nowhere
> > without my init" panic.
>
> I really did send a SIGABRT to init.  Earlier, I explored a SIGSEGV
> with hte same symptoms.
>
> I did this while X was running, and was not at a text console.
> Maybe the panic message was hidden from me; I'll re-try to make
> sure.

OK, for the record:

Sending a SIGABRT to init _does_ induce a panic, but the panic
message only appears on the console.  If X is running, video modes
don't change.  I don't know if that's desirable, but that's not
important right now.

And, also for the record, the netdump utility:

  <http://www.cs.duke.edu/~anderson/freebsd/netdump/>;

Does _not_ work out-of-the box for FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE.  The kernel
module, though loaded, does not seem to get invoked during a panic.

If I can coax that into working, I'll let people know, but I wanted
to get the current status of my efforts into the archives.

Thanks for your time...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842