Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:39:23 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        douglasv@gte.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Host Name Look Up Failure

[Your mailer sends awfully formatted mails. Please break lines at 70
columns.]

douglasv@gte.net schrieb:

>                 I an new to BSD and have just installed ver 4.0
>
>                 I did a: make search key=(portname)
>                 to get the path of the port.
>
>                 Then I cd to the ports path
>
>                 Then I enterd make
>
>                 Then the OS gave me: an error 1, Stop, Host Name Look up failure
>
>                 I did not create any folders. All folders existing are from the install
> program.

Either you are not connected to the internet, you did not setup your
internet connection the right way, or you did not setup your hostname at
all. Read again about installing FreeBSD at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

HTH
-Christoph Sold