Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 00:02:02 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Rob Hunter <robh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with dual boot

Hi

I have a machine running Win98. I've got a 20 gig ide drive in it. I'm
having difficulties getting FreeBSD booted after installing (3.3-RELEASE).

I'm installing from cdrom. This is what my partitions look like:

dos fdisk output:

Partition       Status  Type            Vol label       Mbytes  System
c:      1               PRI DOS         WIN98           4001    FAT32
        2       A       Non-DOS                         3561
        3               EXT DOS                         12002
        Logical DOS Drive Information

Drv     Vol Label       Mbytes  System          Usage
d:                      12002   FAT32           100%

I manage to finish the installation, and then ask it to install FreeBSD's
default boot manager. After this, I get my 2 options when booting, and am
told to press F3 to boot FreeBSD. I hear an audible beep when pressing
this, and the only key that does anything is F1 (Win98).

I've tried installing os-bs and end up with the same. I've tried changing
active id tag's too. I've also tried letting it modify the start id
automatically upon booting.

No matter what, I can't get it to boot my bsd partition :(

Any help appreciated

Regards

--Rob