Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Charley <quinton@apex.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it assumed that I know this?

	Moved to -questions where it belongs.

> Host:			Domain:

	Do you have a domain name? Ie: www.whatever.com? Don't make
something up, if nothing else leave it blank.

> IPv4 Gateway:	Name server:

	This is the IP address of your Name Server or DNS server. It's
going to be at your ISP's location.

> IPv4 Address:	Netmask:

	Usually but not always, 255.255.255.0 :)

> Extra options to ifconfig:

	Leave this blank. If you don't know what to type there, you don't
need it. :)

> I ask my Internet Service Provider for these names and numbers but he just
> said
> "You don't need those for anything, what's FreeBSD anyway?"

	Your ISP is providing DHCP. I'd suggest that you answer yes to the
question "Use DHCP." (It might fail though depending on your
configuration.)  If they're not going to give you the IP address you need
if that dosen't work... it's time to start shopping for a new ISP.

	Rick