Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jerry Murdock <jerry_murdock@yahoo.com>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jail vs Active FTP

--- Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > When initiating an FTP transfer use "ftp" inside the jail, I get an
> > "500 Invalid Port Command" error. Should I be able to initiate and
> > active FTP session from inside a jail?
> I often run jails with 127/8 IPs or private (non-routable intranet)
> addressess.
> The easiest solution is to put IPF into the kernel and use its built-in
> FTP proxy.

Thanks for the tip.

I already had
"MAP map tun0 0.0.0.0/0 -> 0/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp"
in the IPNAT rules, which I thought would be enough.

I went back and added an explicit
"MAP map tun0 jail.ad.dr.ess/32 -> 0/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp"
which fixed it up.

I should have thought of it myself.

Jerry