Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:19:41 -0600
From:      Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: a full /var system...thank you all

Just wanted to thank those who helped me with my full /var error.

If anyone gets this error, try this...I hope it helps. This
fixed MORE THAN ONE problem.

1) type "ps -ax" and prompt
2) kill any process that is still acting up (in my case, I had
	to "kill 146"...sendmail
3) type "df -k /var" and look at percentage of use (mine was 109%!!!)
4) find the file that is giving you problems (mine was mgetty.cuaa1,
	I can't remember exactly where it was in the /var directory
	at the moment)
5) make sure it is safe to delete the file (I did "vi mgetty.cuaa1",
	and noticed it was a bunch of calls to my serial port from
	modem, and vice versa)
6) delete the file (the file in my case was 28MB!!!)

MENTAL NOTE: FreeBSD took next to NO TIME deleting this file...I'm
impressed :-)

7) type "df -k /var" again, and notice the change (mine went down to 24%)
8) optional...reboot and see what else might be fixed

In my case:
	-sendmail no longer gave me errors
	-no more "/var system full" errors
	-with netscape, I was previously getting an error "failed to load
libX.so.6.o",
		or something to that effect, but I could FINALLY run "netscape &" again!
	-no more errors in VI when I did a :wq! (couldn't write to /var)

Again, I hope this helps someone...anyone..out :-)

Kevin Weiss
kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu

I use the FreeBSD OS...because reboots are for hardware upgrades :-)
http://www.freebsd.org