Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 03:08:02 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@video2video.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD LIST" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: mount_msdos woes [JOY]

> I'm going to try this ports/sysutils/gpart tool -- I suppose I have no
> other recourse -- by getting it onto a fixit floppy or... can one boot
up
> to the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppies then replace the latter with
> another floppy to mount that would be ufs-formatted and contain the
gpart
> binary?

Sorry never tried this.

> That might cause a problem.  Do you recommend I colocate the victim
HDD in
> with the one I am using now, and run gpart on it from the currently
booted
> HDD?  I think I ought to be patient and not jump right in (but I'm
very
> excited). (:-)

That's the way I did it. If you really go this way, ask the owner of
this disk, if he can at least give a vague approximation of the
partition table or the respective partiton sizes. This really helps a
lot to identify wrong assumptions. Make sure to dd the whole disk first
as backup. Writing extended partition tables is in the middle of the
disk, so you can easily destroy data. If there were only primary
partitions on the disk, things are much easier.

If in doubt of anything ask first. I'm also on ICQ, but we have to find
a time slot, when we're both awake. ;-)

> If gpart fixes my woes, I'll donate $5 to $10 to your favorite charity
in
> your name (or something like www.bsdforums.org - no joke)

I think the FreeBSD project would earn it most. :-)

Ciao
Siegbert