Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:39:22 +0300
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        "J.S." <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How the h*ll did I manage to rm -rf rc.d?!

----- Original Message -----
From: J.S. <johann@broadpark.no>
Newsgroups: lucky.freebsd.questions
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 6:40 PM
Subject: How the h*ll did I manage to rm -rf rc.d?!

> I was suppose to do a rm -rf postfix in /usr/local/etc, when something else
worth of silent attention suddenly struck me.
> Without thinking I just typed the letters rc.d instead of postfix, and now I'm
in deep sh*t.

> Please help me, someone?

Not a big problem. /usr/local/etc/rc.d contains shell scripts which run
additional software you installed.

You can type pkg_info, and go to /usr/ports/distfiles and fetch needed
sh-scripts from needed source distributions. Sometime sh-scripts
are parts of ports, so you can go to /usr/ports/<category>/<portname>
and take sh-script from there.

Of course you can reinstall all packages, but I'm not sure that it it a good
idea.