Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:41:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Loschert <loschert@servint.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpt0 configuration problems

I am currently attempting to connect an HP DeskJet 500 to my machine's
parallel port.  I have read through the instructions in the handbook and
am encountering problems at the point where I attempt to configure the
device - /dev/lpt0. I have tried each of the following lines in my kernel
config file.  Each time I changed the kernel config, I did the whole,
config, make depend, make, make install, reboot process.

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq? vector lptintr
device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device          lpt0    at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq 7 vector lptintr

dmesg showed the following on each boot-up (the address was different for
each of the different kernel config attempts, but the message was
otherwise the same).

lpt0 not found at 0xffffffff

I attempted using lptcontrol, just to see if it would give me any useful
debugging info.  Here are the results:

% lptcontrol -i -u 0
lptcontrol: open: Device not configured

If anyone has any ideas, I would welcome some advice.

Matt