Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 15:59:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        psoltani@ultradns.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86config and Video problems on FBSD 4

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>Problem:
>To get mouse and XFree86 to work.

>- To get any of the regular/Microsoft/Logitech/3buttonMouse mice to work
>with HP Vectra which has a PS2 Style mouse port .
>The mouse cursor never appears or moves, only keyboard navigation when
>running /stand/sysinstall->Configure->Mouse
>Used /dev/psm0, /dev/sysmouse to no avail.

That's not X... Let's take it from the beginning. As root, on the
console, do:

  killall moused
  vidcontrol -m on
  moused -df -t auto -p /dev/psm0

This should give you a pointer and lots of debug output.  The pointer
should move as you move the mouse.  If that does not work, and the
mouse is plugged in (should be plugged in at boot time), then I don't
know what's wrong.

If it does work (and you want to continue using the mouse daemon), put
moused_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf to start it at next boot.  The
defaults should be ok for a PS/2 mouse, so remove any other lines that
begin with "moused".  To start moused without rebooting, repeat the
moused line above, but without "-df".

>- When running startx or xinit, I get in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
>(EE) VGA(0): No Display subsection in Screen section "Screen 1" for
>depth/fbbpp 4/4
>(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

>Fatal server error:
>no screens found

>I have tried numerous combinations, again to no avail, using xf86config
>utility and manual editing.

Try "X -configure".  That should write a config file, with correct
information on you hardware (if the server reconizes it).

You may have to enter information on your monitor, though (horizontal
and vertical frequencies), or the server won't find any screen
configurations it can use.

For the mouse, use:

 Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
 Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"