Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 09:58:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        dannyman@dannyland.org (dannyman)
Cc:        mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: purpose of repository

dannyman wrote:
> - the repository we have established already is intended for developing
>   FreeBSD version of mozilla, and for collecting patches to send back to
> Netscape, neh?

IMO, that is it's primary goal. Someone should be following the mozilla
lists, trying fixes out on the FreeBSD version and committing changes
as appropriate.

> - Netscape is working to establish a similar repository for the bigger
>   mozilla itself, to distribute among all platforms.

mozilla.org won't necessarily accept patches into their source
repository unless they think they are appropriate, just like the FSF
won't always accept patches to GNU sources.

> or are we establishing our repository for use to all (unix) comers ... then
> what makes our repository different from netscape? (perhaps other than being
> unix-centric)

I don't think that FreeBSD.org is trying to do anything other than provide
support for people working on a FreeBSD version. This doesn't stop FreeBSD
from maintaining the repository with a vendor branch that accurately
tracks the mozilla.org (reference/master) repository.

An important difference between the FreeBSD repository and the mozilla.org
repository is that the FreeBSD one is intended to contain the most up-to-date
code that is known to work on FreeBSD, well before any FreeBSD patches
make it back to the main repository.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137