Date:      07 Aug 2002 18:09:07 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> writes:

| On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Matthew Seaman wrote:
| > Ah, but on FreeBSD, less is more, more or less:
| > happy-idiot-talk:~:% ls -lai /usr/bin/{more,less}
| > 8199 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  85844 Aug  3 17:16 /usr/bin/less*
| > 8199 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  85844 Aug  3 17:16 /usr/bin/more*
|
| [...]
|
| Sunuvva gun, that's cool - I wonder why they waste 85k of space instead of
| just having a symlink ;-) not that a user can't do that themselves...

They don't waste 85K.  The files are identical.  ls -i shows the inode number;
that's the first column.  The third column is "number of hard links that point
to this inode."  So there are only two different directory entries that point
to the same file.

Hard links are faster to resolve than symbolic links, and work just fine as
long as all the directory entries are on the same filesystem.