Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:37:19 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFT: vdr ports (watch/record/stream tv, works with xbmc too :)

Hi,

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:06:01 +0100
Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:

> Btw you can also symlink /video there. (as I also mentioned under 1.
> in the original message, maybe not prominently enough...)

Yes, you did, however, I prefer not to "litter" my system with
unnecessary files, symlinks and whatnot when I am only testing
things. :-)

>  Even if you only see `No signal' you should still be able to do
> stuff in the on-screen display (osd), try hitting the tab or
> insert key for the menu, see the XKeySym.* entries in
> /usr/local/etc/vdr/remote.conf for the rest of the keybindings.
> (see also under 4.)

Aha, I didn't know about the tab or insert keys. Just shows that I must
spend more time with vdr, if I want to learn how it works.

One thing: the files section in the vdr man page doesn't tell you the
default location of the files (/usr/local/etc/vdr/). It isn't mentioned
anywhere in the man page, if I haven't missed it.

>  I think all you need to do is make sure the tuner(s) are working
> and accessible to the vdr user (starting with /dev/dvb/adapter0/*)
> and that vdr has an initial /usr/local/etc/vdr/channels.conf for
> whatever sat position/networks/etc the tuner(s) can receive.
> (see my notes about w_scan -o7 under 5.)

I just realized one thing: the man page for vdr (and your notes) says
that vdr needs a DVB card. This means that it won't work with my
(analogue) PVR-500. Is that correct?

>  Oh and if you absolutely can't get your tuner to work yet for
> whatever reason you can also try adding the example web stream iptv
> entries in /usr/local/share/examples/vdr_plugin_iptv/channels.conf.iptv
> to your channels.conf and test using the iptv plugin.  (as also
> mentioned under 5.)

Good idea, I'll try that.

>  I'm sorry my notes are so long that its so easy to miss stuff, I
> just don't know what to omit... :)

No, your notes are fine (I'll take long an detailed over short and
brief any day), and my posting was not in any way a complaint on them.
Its just that I need some more time to figure out how stuff works in
vdr.

HAND.
--
Regards,