Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:39:42 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Joel Ray Holveck" <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DES encryption

From: Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
>I didn't know that.  I had always assumed that once you installed DES
>and linked libcrypt to it, your MD5 recognition would go away.

Take a second and think, If MD5 wasn't recognized, then when you logout, and
try to access the system it wouldn't let you login because your last
password was MD5.  Also, you would then have to have all of your users
re-enter their passwords.

Thus the DES Library has a routine in it where it checks the first couple of
characters, and if they match then it will use DES to check the password,
otherwise it will call the MD5 Crypt library to check the password.

>Is this just in login, or also in ftp, etc?

Any program that has been linked with the libcrypt library (linked to the
libdescrypt library) will be able to recognize MD5 and DES passwords.

Scot