Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 02:47:13 +0200 (EET)
From:      Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw rules ordering  --  newcomer

hello,

i've just setup ipfw on my machine and got a question on ordering
the rules:

i unserstood that rules order matters in the operation of a firewall
and first rule that matches stops the search etc.

but what about the order on things you want to allow? is it better to
have some ordering for speed for example?

on my machine, which is used for connecting to the internet (no lan) i got
the order as follows:

1. route all through tun0
2. DNS reply allow (*only* reply)
3. all outgoing tcp + udp allow (tcp first setup then establish)
4. allow icmp --  echo-request(8) + echo-reply(0) + traceroute(11)
5. deny + log all others

Do you think the above is good ordering?

thanks a lot for your help

regards,

Bernie