Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:21:22 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        David Larkin <david.larkin@djl.co.uk>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dual boot with XP

David Larkin wrote:
> I'm going to by a laptop with wondoze XP pre installed soon.
>
> The machine will have one IDE disk.
>
> Am I right in thinking that I can install FreeBSD also without having to re-install XP ?
>
> I"ve searched the mailing list and found info on how to achieve dual boot with multiple disks< but how do i go about this, which I guess is a common task ?
>
> Is there a tutorial out there in cyberspace somewhere ????

Jerry gave a pretty complete answer. I have two cents to throw in:

Consider reinstalling Windows instead of futzing with shrinking the
partition to make room for FreeBSD. No question that it can be done,
but as noted it may cost you for some commercial partition mgmt.
software for NTFS. But that's not my reason.

The vendor is highly likely to load your laptop's installation of
Windows with all kinds of unwanted cruft, including AOL and
Earthlink dialers, scary automated "helper" software, and gawd knows
what else. If you install Windows, you get to control it (to some
small extent). Would you rather have to go and weed out the
bloatware that you don't want, or would you rather build up a box
from nothing, including only what you do want? The latter is more
"the BSD way" and that's why I usually choose to reinstall Windows
in these cases.

You'll want to fire up Windows as delivered by the vendor at least
once and poke around in it awhile, particularly if it comes with any
"free" stuff you want, like an antivirus subscription or what not --
sometimes these installations come with serial numbers "embedded" by
the vendor, that you must use to register the package before you'll
be able to successfully reinstall them from CD after reinstalling
Windows.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348