Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:01:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        Steve Bertrand <steve@svr3.northnetworks.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: buildworld fail

Steve -

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> I have spent a couple weeks in groups, google, handbook and lists for
> self-help on this.  I am trying to buildworld on a 4.6.2 machine to
> RELENG_4.  The cvsup is updating all src and ports and finished
> successfully.  I reboot to kern.securelevel=-1, #rm -rvf /usr/obj and
> #cd /usr/src && make buildworld.  It fails miserably everytime here:

> cc -fpic -DPIC -O -pipe -I. -I/usr/src/lib/libncurses
> -I/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses
> -I/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/include -Wall
> -DFREEBSD_NATIVE -DNDEBUG -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DTERMIOS -c
> /usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/tinfo/alloc_entry.c
> -o alloc_entry.So cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal
> signal 11 *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libncurses.
> *** Error code 1

Welcome to the club. Several folks have hit this self-same error,
including me in trying to upgrade from RELENG_4_5 to _4_6. I didn't find
any reported solutions, either. I am giving up and will make a more recent
set of CDs and do a fresh installation. (I haven't really put any work on
the machine yet, but it is a bit frustrating.)

[I tried going from _4_5 to _4_7, too, but hit some problems in that which
clearly reflected my hardware (amount of memory) and size of my swap
space. If I'm going to use it, I prefer to get the underlying
configuration right first.]

My motiviation is similar to yours, though I have the pretext of wanting a
mail server that I was going to set up with the FreeBSD box.

 - John Mills