Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 21:49:57 -0300 (ARG)
From:      CHX0 <chx0@mail.opensol.com.ar>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, mariojd@isol.net
Subject:   Re: reboot

> As CHX0 wrote:
> >
> > My system running 2.1.0-RELEASE doesn't reboot even after setting
> > BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET ni the new rebuilt kernel (the whole change
> > is that now it doesn't print the message that the keyboard reset
> > didn't work). Any clue about this ? Does FreeBSD attempt to do a
> > cold or a warm boot ? does it use int 19 h ?
>
> There's no reliable way to cold boot a PeeCee.  Send your ovations for
> this sin to Big Blue, please.  The result of a broken cold boot is
Or to Intel ?
> what you're seeing...
>
> No, FreeBSD doesn't use int 0x19, it doesn't have access to the BIOS,
> and all int 0x19 does is just jumping to 0xffff0.  (Unless a virus has
> been trapping int 0x19 while you were in DOS. :-)
>
> My machine at work doesn't reboot completely either, btw.

I've been playing around with some chipset options on my DX4/100
1994 AMI motherboard, to handle Rset Control and A20 either through
the chipset or through the Keyboard controller. All I got
is a panic :privilege instruction fault while in
kernel mode, running process was reboot, IP was 0x8:0xf01ac471 ...:-(