Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:22:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Paul Traina <pst@pst.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, <committers@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IP port ephemeral range

[ Re-directing to -arch to get a wider audience involved. ]

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > 	I appreciate your eagerness to get this change out to our
> > userbase, but I really think it's too big a change for releng_4. I
> > personallly would really like to see the whole thing backed out in that
> > branch, and give the code time to gel in -current. What do you think?
>
> I think you stated it best a few days ago, Doug:
>
> "I'm really beginning to sympathize with obrien's perspective that
> doing anything useful around here isn't worth having to put up with the
> kibitzing."

	Funny you should quote that... while I still believe that it's
true, I eventually realized that _some_ of the kibitzing was valid, and
that some of the changes I merged into -stable were too much, so I backed
them out.

> I'm happy to work with Paul.  He has stated a valid complaint, and
> has helped to determine what an acceptable solution would be.  However, I
> can't hold up MFCing changes forever just because people believe that
> releng_4 should never change.

	I am not suggesting that, nor do I believe it. In fact, quite the
opposite, I'm a vigorous campaigner for mfc's, especially during this
loooong development cycle for 5.0. However, I am concerned that the change
you've pushed through is too much of a POLA violation, if it's even a good
idea.

	This change hasn't been put in a release yet, so it's not too late
to back it out of releng_4 with minimal disruption to the users.

> The idea of just leaving such a change in -current for comment isn't
> working.  The change which started this debate was commited to current
> over a month ago.  Aside from Peter, I heard very little comment before
> the change was MFC'd.

	I've already apologized once for missing this discussion. I can't
imagine I'm the only one who did.

> We have a month-long code freeze coming up, that should be more than
> enough time for the changes to get tested.

	Given that this is still a work in progress, I don't think one
month is enough. We are relying heavily on the 4.x branch to be something
users can cling to while we finish the 5.0 development. I think that this
is the wrong time for a change like this, even if you do get the bugs
worked out of -current.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?