Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 14:19 -0600
From:      "Brian McGroarty" <BMCGROARTY@high-voltage.com>
To:        "freebsd-advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Marketing FreeBSD (2)

I ran this by our art and design staff. (I work for a video game and video
production company. We do work for The Chicago Bulls, a large software
company in Seattle, Midway, etc.)

I'll summarize the responses. Most of these came up multiple times, and not
all suggestions are compatible.

Majority Comments:

The white background needs to go. Black is overdone, but a deep purple would
make Chucky look good and would make the CD stand out overall. Amusing, given
Walnut Creek as the publisher: "It looks like a shareware CD"

The angled text on the 3.2 cover should be a flush block. The font for that
text should be a heavier weight.

A very mixed response to Chucky. Some like him, some don't. I stated that it
should be assumed removing him is NOT an option. They like elements of the
new style, but would prefer the old pose with the trident. None liked the
soft drink and record/tray/CD even after explaining the "server joke." 10 of
the 13 asked wanted him to be smaller at least.

Popular Comments:

The "3.2" font "looks like 70s 'future text'"

The FreeBSD logo should be larger - edge to edge, possibly even cropped
partly.

The FreeBSD logo needs a drop shadow or other emphasis

"The Power To Serve" shouldn't be a serif font

The bar on the bottom looks great. That could even stay white if the rest
were colored

The FreeBSD logo could have an alternate colored stripe behind it, ditto a
vertical bar through the left text.

The cover needs more color overall, through the colored background
suggestion, or much heavier text weights.