Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 95 07:23:56 CST
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, neal@jennifer.pernet.net
Subject:   Re: Slow boot

> OK, I've read the mailing list and newsgroup archives, and have seen this
> question asked, but never answered:
>
> We just recently installed NIS client functions on one of our machines at
> kernel level 2.1.0.  Now, when it boots, it pauses for as long as 5
> minutes when adding routes(loopback and default gateway).  If I take nis
> out of sysconfig, it doesn't pause.  Is this just something really stupid
> that I'm overlooking?  Any help is appreciated.
>
> --
> Neal Rigney sysadmin, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
> neal@mail.pernet.net
> My opinions are mine, damnit!  PERnet can't have them!

Neal,

I see this too.  I use NIS also and I've traced it down to the route add
that is done for the multicast address.  I think the system is trying
to resolve the $hostname on the "route add ..."  with NIS which has not
been bound yet.  So the system pauses while the NIS request times out.

I know my host.conf file says to use hosts before NIS but that doesn't
seem to matter.  Is there a bug in gethostbyname that it ignores the
host.conf order?

Anyone else have any ideas for Neal and me?

Derek Laufenberg
laufen@sol.med.ge.com