Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Entombing for FreeBSD

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, C. Stephen Gunn wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 09:37:33PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
>
> > If we're restricting this to restoring lost files, I can't
> > remember the last time I did that either.  It was certainly more
> > than 15 years ago.  I don't use entombing.  Can't see the point.
>
> It's not the last time _you_ had to restore a file that's the issue.
> If you've not had to do it for 15 years, entombing probably isn't
> for you.
>
> When was the last time you took care of 500+ users on a single
> machine.  Users delete files.  Users clobber files.  Users intentionally
> make changes to files and then don't want them tomorrow.
>
> We have _serious_ users around here with serious needs.  We have
> all of our important data on hardware RAID 5, and we still do
> nightly backups to DLT. DLT's are fast, but pulling one file off
> tape (which would happen) can take 45 minutes to an hour, even with
> good tools like Amanda.

I am philosophically opposed to this type of feature, I believe it
promotes slovenly work habits.  On the other hand as a practical matter it
would probably save a lot of time, when dealing with non-professionals.

I would also agree that libc hacking is a poor route.

I'm waiting until secondary storage becomes compact and cheap so that we
can keep all versions of all files indefinitely :)

I predict that if *BSD and Linux implement this feature, MS will introduce
a similar feature within 6mos and announce it as a new MS inovation, under
development for 15 years, unavailable on any other OS.

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat